Books banner

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Publish your Kindle Store ebook Part Seven: Social Networking and promotion

Well, the first major hurdle has been passed and Crack is now available to buy on Amazon UK. Of course, I didn't realise that VAT is added onto the price yu set, so Crack actually costs £1.09 instead of 95p. Buggeration. Still, you can change the price through the Amazon Dashboard at any time, so no worries.

Now it's time to sit back and chortle as the millions roll in. Which sadly might take a while as I sold an incredible two copies on the first day. This is the biggest problem with self-publishing: you're responsible for all your own marketing, and if you don't promote your book, you'll barely afford a Greggs pastie with your earnings.

First Step: Pester friends into buying

This is the easiest bit of marketing. Get on your Facebook, Twitter etc. accounts and let your friends know that your book's out, and they should bloody well buy a copy. Right now. Not only that, they should tell all of their friends (or at least the ones that own Kindles), retweet or post on their own Facebook pages, and generally help to spread the good word.

Whether you ask politely or threaten them with nipple-twists, make sure you get as many people as possible to post up links and a quick bit of blurb.

The more sales you get, the higher you rise up Amazon's ranking and the more likely you are to enter the site's advertising - you know, the 'people who checked this out also looked at this' stuff. That's the real gold right there. Once you start attracting serious clicks, you'll find your sales gather momentum and your job is done.

Go forth my little birds!

If you're reading this, you must be a smart, cool and handsome/gorgeous person. If you decide to check out Crack and you like it, please tell your friends about it - I will love you forever.

See, I asked nicely - no nipple tweaks here...

5 comments:

  1. I added you to my 'to-read' list on Goodreads - but I only have four friends so I don't think it'll go far :-(

    Also, I didn't check, is it available on Amazon usa as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, much appreciated! I need to get back on Goodreads too, haven't been there for ages.

    Tis indeed available on Amazon US, there's no link info when I go on though - I guess only US visitors can buy it from there?

    http://www.amazon.com/Crack-ebook/dp/B005WBIRTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318974978&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I only ask because if I like it I'll mention it on my blog and a lot of my readers are American :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In fact, I've just had an idea - if I like it, fancy doing an interview? I've only got a couple of hundred readers but everything helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that would be great cheers Sarah. Give me a shout if you want to go for it, best way is at info@chrisbarraclough.co.uk, I check that every day. Otherwise I linger around here a fair bit ;)

    ReplyDelete